The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales (RCAHMW) was established in 1908. They develop and promote the understanding of the archaeological, built and maritime heritage of Wales.
The Commission has a huge collection of items in its archive, The National Monuments Record of Wales (NMRW). Coflein is the online catalogue of this archive.
Coflein contains a fantastic selection of aerial photos captured in the 1930s and 1940s. The photos were taken by Aerofilms Ltd and the collection was made available to the public in 2007.
You can view all the photos on the Coflein website. High resolution files are available to purchase.
This photo is from the Central Office of Information Photographic Collection. There’s no date but we can determine it’s sometime in the early 1970s. The Walnut Tree Viaduct demolition started in 1969 and the remaining piers were removed in 1973. The A470 and Taff’s Well/Tongwynlais roundabout looks to be completed and there’s no evidence of the former Tongwynlais railway tunnel.
All images are Crown copyright and are reproduced with the permission of the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales (RCAHMW), under delegated authority from The Keeper of Public Records.